For this episode of REPUTATION REVOLUTION, I spoke with book coach and editor, Kelly Irving, who helps business experts and thought leaders write and publish books.
Kelly has a very pragmatic view when it comes to experts writing books.
In this chat, we unpack the REAL reasons why an expert (entrepreneur/thought leader) should write a book, and outlines a realistic path towards preparing for your book should you decide to write one.
Kelly explains the 4 types of writers:
- The deep thinker
- The storyteller
- The entrepreneur
- The mastermind
(Which one are you?)
Kelly also touches on:
- how to know when you’re ready to write a book
- writing a book is a thinking process: it’s about learning to communicate who you are and what you do
- how are you going to use the book in your business?
- building a body of work that becomes a book
- writing a book starts with blogging, publishing articles, sharing content … working up to whitepapers
- tension points in the writing process
- grappling with the ‘curse of knowledge’
- the importance of “critical, valid, honest feedback” during the writing process
- a book is a product of your business, it’s more than a calling card with “thud value”
- book length and the simplification of ideas
Lots of gold here from Kelly. If you’ve been considering writing a book but still have questions around the process and whether it’s something you should be doing, you will definitely find this episode enlightening.
CONNECT WITH KELLY: